Carbon Monoxide Alert
14 June 2013
With the cold weather sweeping across our nation, employees are always looking for ways to keep warm, some of which are insidious and can be fatal. A recent near fatal incident highlighted this danger when a Members employee was found unconscious in a truck and fortunately was revived. The investigation found the employee had used a gas powered welding machine to generate heat inside a truck and the exhaust pipe had holes allowing carbon monoxide leakage into the truck cab. Obviously maintenance was one issue, but in addition this was a reminder that employees will become creative out of necessity.
So please make every effort to remind/teach your employees about the dangers of carbon monoxide in a confined or enclosed area. Below is information you can use in a safety briefing with your employees. Stay safe out there!
OSHA Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Fact Sheet